Electrical Certification Requirements

Redwood Empire JATC

1726 Corby Avenue

Santa Rosa, California 95407

(707) 523-3837 / FAX 523-3829

 CALIFORNIA STATE Electrician Certification Requirements


Based on current California State regulations, for an electrical worker to continue working for a C-10 Contractor, he/she must either:

  • Have the required work experience hours and have passed the State Electrician Certification Examination, or
  • Be indentured in a State-approved Electrical Apprenticeship Program (REJATC)
  • Be enrolled in a State-approved Electrician Trainee (ET) Program and registered as an Electrician Trainee (ET) with the State of California.


  • Labor Code Section 3099.2 (3) - For purposes of any continuing education or recertification requirement, individuals who become certified prior to the deadline for certification shall be treated as having become certified on the first anniversary of their certification date that falls after the certification deadline.

  • Click on this link to verify when your certification expires: http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/CA_Electricians_Certified.pdf


  • During each three-year license period, all electrical licensees shall complete a minimum of 32 hours of continuing education.
  • Classes will be offered at the Redwood Empire JATC. You can get class dates and descriptions on their website at rejatc.org
  • After completion of your 32 hours of continuing completion you will need to complete a Continuing Education application form and send $100.00 to the State of California. This will extend your license for an additional three (3) years.


  • To legally perform electrical work for a C-10 contractor in the State of California if you HAVE NOT already passed the State Certification Examination or are NOT currently in an apprenticeship program, you must enroll in State-approved school (Santa Rosa Junior College) and also register with the State of California as an Electrical Trainee (ET).
  • You must also be supervised by a State-certified electrician on the job site.
  • All Electrical Trainee (ET) licenses must be renewed annually.



  • Can be obtained at the IBEW Local 551 union hall or the Redwood Empire JATC office.
  • You can also download an application at the DAS website: www.dir.ca.gov

Page Last Updated: Sep 03, 2015 (11:50:03)

    Copyright © 2019. All Rights Reserved.

    Powered By UnionActive

  • Top of Page image